Check out what happened on this day in football: Leeds United, Lincoln City and Manchester United

March 11: Three key moments that happened on this day in football history

History is made every day in football, with today certainly being no different. From the ongoing Jack Grealish assault case to the rumours of Zinedine Zidane’s return to Real Madrid.

We take a look back at the history of March 11th in the world of football and see what happened on this day.

Charlton reaches 600 for Leeds

Leeds united legend Jack Charlton. Owned by Panini

On this day in 1972, Jack Charlton made his 600th league appearance for Leeds United against Coventry City.

Charlton spent his entire career with Leeds, joining as a young player in 1950. He went on to make his debut just two years later at the age of 17.

The England defender played 629 times for Leeds before his retirement in 1973, scoring 70 goals for the club.

Charlton was pivotal in the game, scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win at Elland Road against the Sky Blues.

Leeds would ultimately miss out on the Division One title that season, finishing just one point behind Brian Clough’s Derby County.

Imps at the Emirates

Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium (

On this day in 2017, Lincoln City became the first non-league side to play in a FA Cup quarter-final since Tottenham Hotspur in 1901.

Lincoln City had already knocked out a Premier League side earlier in the competition, beating Burnley 1-0 in the previous round.

But the Imps would have to overcome the impossible if they were to reach the semi-finals with an away trip to Arsenal awaiting.

Unfortunately for them, the Gunners had too much for them as they put them out with a 5-0 thrashing at the Emirates.

Old Trafford under fire

Manchester United’s Old Trafford in 1992

On this day in 1941, World War Two German Bombers hit Manchester United’s Old Trafford Stadium.

The damage caused by the bombing meant that Manchester United could not play another game at Old Trafford during the war.

The Red Devils next home game came on August 24th 1949 as they beat Bolton Wanderers 3-0.